• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 zachary

zachary

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Last night i'm out hanging with friends, around 3am i taxi to go home, around Asok/Petchburi area there's a police checkpoint, they pull us over, pat me down, trying to intimidate, etc. Eventually they are sifting through my wallet and find Xanax, they go apeshit, laughing like "we got him" like i'm some kind of criminal, they ask for my passport and prescription for for the pills, which i don't have or carry around with me 24/7. I insisted we go to the hospital where i've been given the medicine before, they laughed and said "no, we take you to Onnut jail" all the while laughing giggling. I said "take me to the hospital they have documentation on it etc" but they didnt give a shit.

Eventually they said "call someone who speak Thai, if not you will sleep in jail tonight" so i call my GF, also called the hospital asking them to give the police all/any info they have about me on file (which would prove i've been prescribed Xanax before).

Finally after 3 hours of bullshit they said "ok you free to go".

WTF is this shit? 

People who have done nothing wrong have to spend hours in a police station , for nothing , WTF. 

• StenliyPync likes this

Book discount hotels in Bangkok at AGODA

#2 Boricua67

Boricua67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

Man, that sucks!

But playing "Devil's Advocate", why didn't you have your prescription with you? You have to remember, that you're not in your "home country". You already know how the police is in other countries. Every time I left my hotel, I carried my passport with me.

I'm glad everything turned out well for you, but man! Have your prescription with you next time.

• StenliyPync likes this

#3 zachary

zachary

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

Thing is tho, a decent person would have let me gone to the hospital right nearby, to prove what they wanted. They laughed and refused, they were more like "haha, hell no we're not gonna let you prove your innocence to us, you're going to the police station" (super far away)

But yes, i am going to my hospital on Monday to get printouts of papers to prove I've been given it legally. 

About traveling with passport, i've had mine pickpocketed in South America, and was stuck in Panama for 3 weeks, no access to travel (no passport), no money etc. So i dont ever go out with passport anymore, rather take my chances and leave it at home, in safe.

But you're right, if have any pills, gotta surely have papers, because there are definitely some non decent people out there who will fck with you at any opportunity. Power trippin

• Boricua67 and StenliyPync like this

#4 Boricua67

Boricua67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

That reminds me of my first trip to Argentina (2001). My co-worker was driving the rental van and made an illegal right hand turn coming out of a run-about. We got pulled over by police, or so we thought. The proceeded to give my co-worker a citation. They told him that if he didn't pay it before he left the country, he would be stopped at the airport and not allowed to leave. They told us that if we paid them right now, we would avoid the hassle of having to go to the court house. I told them that we didn't have any money on us, that we would have to go back to the hotel. Fortunately, the hotel was right across the street. They told us to leave and that they would wait for us.

I went inside and told hotel security what had happened. Head security guy marched across the street and ripped the "police", a new asshole. Come to find out, that they were police officer, but they were naval military police officers. They had no jurisdiction. If was a false citation. They were just trying to scam us.

• StenliyPync likes this

#5 robin_the_hood

robin_the_hood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

I've been stopped before too, they only do it at night, around bar closing hours to ensure they can shake down farangs who have been drinking. They shine their flashlights in the taxi's looking for farangs only, when they see, they waive the taxi over to shake down the customer. Really low shit imo  :angry:

Last night i'm out hanging with friends, around 3am i taxi to go home, around Asok/Petchburi area there's a police checkpoint, they pull us over, pat me down, trying to intimidate, etc. Eventually they are sifting through my wallet and find Xanax, they go apeshit, laughing like "we got him" like i'm some kind of criminal, they ask for my passport and prescription for for the pills, which i don't have or carry around with me 24/7. I insisted we go to the hospital where i've been given the medicine before, they laughed and said "no, we take you to Onnut jail" all the while laughing giggling. I said "take me to the hospital they have documentation on it etc" but they didnt give a shit.

Eventually they said "call someone who speak Thai, if not you will sleep in jail tonight" so i call my GF, also called the hospital asking them to give the police all/any info they have about me on file (which would prove i've been prescribed Xanax before).

Finally after 3 hours of bullshit they said "ok you free to go".

WTF is this shit? 

People who have done nothing wrong have to spend hours in a police station , for nothing , WTF. 

• StenliyPync likes this

#6 robin_the_hood

robin_the_hood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:26 AM

WOW, so they were using their uniforms to intimidate foreigners into paying bogus scam money, that is so messed up!!!!

That reminds me of my first trip to Argentina (2001). My co-worker was driving the rental van and made an illegal right hand turn coming out of a run-about. We got pulled over by police, or so we thought. The proceeded to give my co-worker a citation. They told him that if he didn't pay it before he left the country, he would be stopped at the airport and not allowed to leave. They told us that if we paid them right now, we would avoid the hassle of having to go to the court house. I told them that we didn't have any money on us, that we would have to go back to the hotel. Fortunately, the hotel was right across the street. They told us to leave and that they would wait for us.

I went inside and told hotel security what had happened. Head security guy marched across the street and ripped the "police", a new asshole. Come to find out, that they were police officer, but they were naval military police officers. They had no jurisdiction. If was a false citation. They were just trying to scam us.

#7 onerom

onerom

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

I just seen roadblock last night on corner of Petchburi road and Sukhumvit soi 3. Careful out there guys!

#8 bud97

bud97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUS of A

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

Any drugs on your body you should always carry prescription, no matter if USA, Thailand, anywhere, :2 cents:

.... that said, it still sounds like a terrible time! 

#9 zachary

zachary

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

Ya, you're all right. Still not carrying anymore Xanax until get the papers printed at hospital. :)

• Boricua67 likes this

#10 Boricua67

Boricua67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

Thank you. I don't want to have to make a visit to a prison in Thailand to come see you, Lol :P

Ya, you're all right. Still not carrying anymore Xanax until get the papers printed at hospital. :)

#11 zachary

zachary

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

55555555!

You gotta come bail me out man, so i can come to your wedding!!!!! :) haha (knocking on wood, right now, literally!) hehe

#12 Boricua67

Boricua67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

Hahaha.......... As of right now, planning on returning in December. Hopefully December 22nd, 2016 thru January 13th 2017

#13 zachary

zachary

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

Oh awesome man, nice 3week+ trip..... badass, hope to see you then, although i may be in your neck of the woods around that time.

• Boricua67 likes this

#14 bangkokafterdark

bangkokafterdark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

I've been seeing the pullovers and what a mess it is. Really shaking down people for any little thing. I see them as i pass buy, luckily haven't been stopped yet

#15 Boricua67

Boricua67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:14 PM

I've been seeing the pullovers and what a mess it is. Really shaking down people for any little thing. I see them as i pass buy, luckily haven't been stopped yet

While I was in Thailand this past February, I went thru a couple of check points, but we weren't harassed. Maybe because I was accompanied by a couple of Thai people.

#16 Boricua67

Boricua67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:14 PM

Oh awesome man, nice 3week+ trip..... badass, hope to see you then, although i may be in your neck of the woods around that time.

Yeah man! Trying to work it out, so that I have at least 19 days there.

#17 zachary

zachary

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

From the sounds of it, yes if with Thai people you'd be way better off. Although another night I did see Thai people getting into trouble too, standing on side of road, out of their cars talking on phone to someone usually looks like they maybe in deep shit too.

19 days would be great man, good and thorough! 

• Boricua67 likes this

#18 zachary

zachary

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:21 AM

Got stopped again with a VERY thorough police check around Asok area (again), but different location this time, over near Long Table restaurant.

They found my dog food, valiums, etc again, but these police officers were very nice, much better than before. They checked my ID card, asked where i got my pills, i said from hospital, they gave everything back to me and sent me on my way. :)

Just letting anyone else out there know, a headsup for you, these police checks are still happening late at night. This one was around 4:30am this morning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thai police, bkk police, bangkok police, checkpoint, police check, roadblock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

thai cupid